Functions and Calculus is one of the strands of the new Project Maths Course in the Irish curriculum.
Functions provides an essential link between Algebra and Number and introduces the students to applications of calculus in the real world. Use of differentiation to find the slope of a tangent to a curve at a specified point is introduced. This is then extended to the study of increasing and decreasing functions.
Functions and Differentiation are used in real life to help us understand rates of increase and decrease. For example, students will solve problems involving the maximum speed reached by a car and the highest point reached by a firework or rocket.
Finally, the concept of numerical integration is introduced through the use of the ‘Trapezoidal Rule’ to find areas under specific curves. It is an interesting topic that is very accessible to all students.
1. Visit alison.com and create a free account.
2. When you are logged into your account, navigate to the course here: Junior Certificate Strand 5 - Ordinary Level - Functions and Calculus
3. Study the course at your own pace.
4. When you have successfully completed the course and passed the course assessment with a score of 80% or higher go to alison.com/shop
5. Locate the course in your list of completed courses and add the product you have purchased to your cart using the "Add to Cart" button.
6. On the right side panel click "Have a voucher code?" and enter your voucher code.
7. Press the "Proceed to Checkout" button.
8. Fill out your details in the checkout and complete your order.